We use a variety of displays screens, each entitled for a different purpose, especially televisions and monitors. You may think that a display panel or a different display cable may vary our screen viewing experience, but the refresh rate is also an equally important factor.
A higher rate like 120hz is recommended for playing games on your TV like Xbox. Again, if you want a 4k tv with a 60Hz refresh rate for your regular works, you can have that as well. The difference between these two types is that the higher refresh rate means a smoother viewing experience.
So, scroll down the article to find which one is worth giving a better experience watching 60hz or 120hz 4k tv.
What Is A 60 Hz 4k Tv?
The 60 Hz screen in a tv indicates that the tv can update 60 different frames in a second.
Most of the smart televisions in today’s world are mainly of 60 hz refresh rate, which makes it perfect if you are just willing to watch movies or films on your television.
It can give you the best experience in this case. It will present you with an outstanding resolution and have an overall frame per second capacity of 24fps.
If you are a gamer, then the 60hz 4k tvs are not the perfect pair up for you. It will not provide you with enough features to play a game on your tv.
What Is A 120hz 4k Tv?
The 120 Hz screen can update 120 different frames per second and has an overall capacity of 90fps. This makes it twice as good as 60 hz, which means it has an incredible refresh rate faster than 60hz.
This type of television is more fitted for those viewers that prefer playing games on their televisions.
So what if we use it for just watching films or television shows? What will be its impact?
The 120 hz tv will provide you with nothing less than a realistic viewing experience which is a measure of its amazing resolution.
If you need an upgrade from your regular refresh rate, this display will give you a legendary feeling you have never felt before.
60 Hz Vs 120Hz 4k TV: A Detailed Comparison
When the updates of the present smart tv screen are so tempting, it is hard to come to a conclusion for any user to select which one is better; 60hz or 120hz 4k tv. Here is a quick summed-up comparison of the differences between them.
|Features||60 Hz 4k tv||120 Hz 4k tv|
|Refresh rate||60 different frames per second||120 different frames per second|
|Frames per second(fps)||24 fps||60-90fbs|
|Screen resolution||High||Very high close to realistic|
|The capacity of an update to support 4k tv display||Can perfectly support 4k video quality.||Most 120hz 4k tv cannot support the 4k video quality..|
|For watching films or television series||Perfect choice for watching films or tv series.||Best choice for watching films or television series because of the realistic details.|
|For gaming||Not suitable for gaming||Best choice to play games on your television.|
The fact about 60 hz is that it can swiftly update to show 60 different screens per second. So, we can conclude that it has a fast screen updating ability which means it has a great picture quality to some extent.
On the other hand, a 120hz 4k tv can update about 120 different screens, making its updating capacity twice as fast as a normal 60hz tv. Thus, it indicates that this tv has a more superior picture quality than the 60hz tv.
So, we can predict that 120 Hz 4k tv has a faster updating ability to show more screens in a second than that of 60hz and better video quality.
Frames Per Second (FPS)
Your screens have a certain way of updating in a second, which determines the overall capability of the tv to support a certain level of picture quality. It cannot exceed that quality.
However, this does not mean that the frames run out the very same way to enhance video quality. For certain purposes like gaming, a 120 hz 4k tv can go up to 90fps while a 60hz can go up to 24fps.
For viewing 4k content, 120 FPS content would look smooth over the 60 hz display.
Pulling Down Of Video
When a film is made at lower fps at blu-ray, the screen can add up to 3 frames in between screens for 60hz 4k video, which is a pulldown of 3:2 because of having a 24fps video quality offering a great viewing experience.
On the other hand, the 120hz 4k tv with 90fps can have an addition of 5 frames in total, which is 5:5 pull down. This indicates that this 5:5 can ensure a smoother viewing experience.
So, although the effect of 3:2 pulldown is barely noticeable, sometimes shots can appear juddery on 60Hz 4k TVs. And for 120hz 4k TVs, there will be no more juddery.
For Watching Films Or Televisions
The 60hz tv can offer a great video quality for watching television series and films since it has a great updating capacity of screens.
You will have a superior viewing experience. It can add up to a motion smooth viewing experience along with additional frames to butter the best quality of videos.
On the other hand, a 120hz 4k tv can add four more frames to the experience to minimize any blur and enhance video quality to give you a soap opera effect while watching. It can make things look more realistic.
The faster screen updating ability of 120 Hz 4k tv makes it fast enough to play games and get the swift frequency. This is a feature that 60hz tv lacks, which makes it suitable just for a regular viewing experience.
So, the 120Hz is a great threshold for most games for 4k tv. On the contrary, 60 Hz is the least you will want.
Better For Eyes
It is known that the higher the refresh rate, the better for the eyes. Since the minimum rate for best performance is 75hz for 4k, anything upper than this rate is great to have.
Is 4K 120Hz Better Than 4K 60Hz Or Not?
The 120 4k tv has a fluid-like smooth video quality with a realistic vibe. It can enhance your television viewing experience and your super speed games nowadays with a great refresh rate.
On the contrary, the 60hz 4k tv has an amazing motion smoothing experience which makes watching movies absolutely amazing.
Not to mention, its fps is exactly 24fps that provides a movie theatre effect. So, a 60hz 4k TV can show 30hz content, and 120Hz 4k TV does the same thing, only it counts each frame as four frames.
Both televisions can do this smoothly because 30 can be multiplied to both 60 and 120. For the pulldown scenario, the 120Hz 4k tv gets the point.
After all the discussion, 120hz 4k tv wins in all cases, but 60hz is definitely a worthy competitor with equally incredible features.
Some Recommended 60Hz 4k TVs
1. Dell Ultra HD 4K Monitor P2415Q
- Has great IPS screen, higher customization facility, and various ports to handle most gaming consoles – all these have made it to the list.
- The good contrast ratio of the in-plane switching panel offers clear dark areas of the screen.
- This monitor is great for editing works for its 99% sRGB color gamut. The anti-glare coating covers the external reflections pretty well.
2. LG 24UD58-B
- The vivid colours and crisp pictures will offer a superb gaming experience.
- This LG monitor offers height and tilt adjustments.
- The Freesync capability lessens the motion blurring at the time of games. And you don’t have to worry about ghosting and screen tearing as well.
3. Samsung U24E850R
- Great viewing angle, versatile display position adjustments, excellent contrast ratio – Samsung U24E850 packs all the lucrative features.
- It has got HDMI, DisplayPort, and USB 3.0 ports. This PLS panel has an excellent contrast ratio with the right amount of brightness.
- The anti-reflective coating reduces the reflection in bright rooms, and eye saver mode is there for your eyes.
Some Recommended 120hz 4k Tvs:
1. LG OLED55CXPUA Alexa Built-In CX 55″ 4K Smart OLED TV
- Comes with an AI processor for 4K, G-sync and FreeSync, WebOS, etc.
- Offers great pictures and sound with HDR10, HDMI 2.1, OLED display.
- The gaming mode with low input lag, responsive gameplay, high refresh rates will provide you with an immersive gaming experience.
- You will not encounter screen tearing.
2. SAMSUNG 65-inch Class QLED Q80T Series
- QLED television with objective soundtracking, great viewing angle, quantum HDR will be best for enjoying media content.
- For the higher contrast ratio, you will see that blacks will be much deeper, and whites will be brighter.
- The ultra-viewing angle with anti-glare will let you enjoy everything comfortably wherever you sit.
- The Quantum Processor, with the presence of Alexa, will present you with the best 4K experience available.
3. Sony X950H 49 Inch TV
- The HDR display with Dolby vision is a great addition to it.
- The LED display with great color, contrast, and clarity comes with Sony’s best X1 ultimate processor. The display excels at producing RGB lights.
- You can also integrate your iPhone and Siri devices to the TV for smart home management and content streaming.
- Overall, this monitor offers speedy performance with excellent sound quality.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Is 60Hz display better or 120Hz?
120 Hz display panel refreshes 2x faster than 60 Hz, which produce smoother motion and transition. But that doesn’t mean you need this every time you watch the screen. For gamers 120 Hz is obviously better than 60 Hz. But for normal user 60 Hz is not that bad.
Is 60 Hz good for 4k?
Till now there is a few 4k displays that comes with 120 Hz. If you mostly consume media on your TV screen, 60 Hz is good enough for 4k. But for gamers, 60 Hz is not that good for 4k screens.
Is it worth getting a 120Hz TV?
Obviously yes. The 120 Hz is now trending and day by day all the companies are producing 120 Hz panels with 4k. You can experience smooth media consumption and gaming if you own a 120Hz 4k TV. So, it is worth getting a 120 Hz TV.
Is a higher refresh rate better for eyes?
A higher refresh rate means a smoother-looking screen that’s easier on the eyes. So, if you’re trying to ease your eyestrain, a refresh rate of 120 Hz is optimal.
Without a doubt, the 4k 120 display will deliver crisp content which will ease your eyestrain. It actually outperforms 60 hz.
Even though 120 hz 4k tv wins the battle, it completely depends on the viewers whether they are ready for an upgrade to 120hz. If they are, then it will, without a doubt, leave awestruck at all respect.
To enjoy the better picture, color and sharpness of 4k monitor, the 120hz will be one for the ultimate fluidity and smoothness over 60hz.
Mostly, it depends on the viewers’ choice of what they prefer more. So, comment below to let us know which one you like most.